Normally in a product website like Car Tow Dolly that is totally dedicated to highlighting a product and promoting it you don’t find negatives of the product highlighted much or discouragement like I’m going to list here about tow dollies. But the fact is tow dollies have many disadvantages and inconveniences inherent with it, which I think every buyer, user and owner of tow dollies should be aware of.
These tow dolly disadvantage apply to all types of vehicle towing dollies, and these are some of the reasons why most often people choose rollback tow truck that can lift a vehicle completely off the ground or a powerful conventional wrecker tow truck that hooks, lifts and tows the vehicle instead of towing their car or truck using a tow dolly that is towed using your small car, truck or maybe a tractor.
So here are the disadvantages or bad side of a car towing dolly:
1). Car tow dollies are themselves heavy. Normally well built dolly capable of towing a heavy American car weighs anywahere around 500 to 1500 pounds. This adds to your total towed weight total and significantly reduces the towing capacity your towing vehicle.
2). In some states of US tow dollies needs to be registered and licensed. Needless to say this ad yord one more “vehicle” to your mix.
3) It is difficult to back up with a dolly. Have you tried reversing a vehicle with a tow dolly coupled to the back tow bar.
4) You have to continually keep up the maintenance and repairs of the tow dolly’s tires, wheels, and frame for it to be ready for use at anytime. Otherwise you might as well have to buy a new dolly in an emergency .
4) Tow dollies are increasingly becoming a complex mini vehicle of itself. With its added weight which requires car tow dollies to have its own brakes increases the initial price of the dollies as well as the maintenance cost of your dollies in the long run.
5) Two sets of safety cables are required between the coach and the dolly and between the dolly and the vehicle. The nylon tie-down tow straps frequently fail on dollies putting your towed vehicle at great risks, specially in hills where people often tend to tow cars behind their caravan homes. The risks are too great to use it for a expensive car. You are best to go for a flatbed truck in such a situation or rent a secure parking place to leave your car behind.
6) Brake, and clearance lights are difficult to connect on a dolly towed vehicle. This is a must.
7) You have to have a plan for what you will do with the dolly once you get to your destination. Plus, it usually takes two people to manuever it somewhere out of the way.
This is certainly not encouraging news. However this doesn’t mean car tow dollies are completely useless. The have their benefits and advantages of car tow dollies are many. That is why I mention here frequently tow dollies are best for short distances frequent towing. Also what about having a community owned tow dolly that can be used by all your neighbors and friends or a whole apartment building households, who will all chip in to buy it and maintain it of course!